Welcome to Encore Tampa Bay!
Over the past two years there has been a nagging restless feeling in my head and heart. I found myself wondering what was next- I liked my work but I felt like I was ready for something more— in the second half (in the football game of life). ‘That something more kind of feeling’…. It turns out that a lot of people my age were thinking or wondering this same thing.. I can tell you that every week I hear someone of my generation saying things like —‘ Is this all there is?,… I am thinking about what’s next…, I know I have one more big thing left to do…I am restless, bored, been laid off or ready to do something that has meaning for me but not sure what that is…” So I started doing a LOT of research, reading and soul searching. What I found was not only my “Second Act or Encore Career” but I discovered a national movement where Baby Boomers are redefining their retirement years.
DID YOU KNOW?
- There are 78 million Baby Boomers in the workplace today and the research shows that this generation is looking for the freedom to work in new ways and on their terms; a chance to find more meaning and purpose in their lives.
- In the next 15 years, over 22% of our entire population will be Baby Boomers!
- Life expectancy is now well beyond 80 years of age. (that is an extra 20 years of living beyond the ‘retirement age”)
- AARP survey- 79% of those over 50 believe they will work at least part time well beyond their retirement years (economic crisis and shrinking 401 K’s also play a role in this new reality)
- 1 in 4 Baby Boomers are ready or already have started their own entrepreneurial business. (Second Acts)
- 50% of those entrepreneurs are looking for ways to make a social impact as well as earn a living.
Here is what happened to me…
I found out that there is life after raising a kid and being a consultant!! Marc Freedman, has become a key driver and thought leader in this Second Stage of Life revolution. He wrote a book in 2007 that identified a different kind of work that combines personal meaning, social impact and income after 55! He called this – Encore Careers.
Since 2007 Mr Freedman has written other books and publications, along with starting a non-profit called Encore. You MUST check out his website- it is awesome! Encore.org
So here is why I am so excited
All of these books, articles, research AND real life stories of people who have truly found their Encore Careers in this later stage of life have truly inspired me and helped me to identify MY ENCORE Career!!
I have founded Encore Tampa Bay- The purpose of Encore Tampa Bay is two fold:
- To identify and create pathways, programs, policies and resources that will help my fellow Baby Boomers find and create their own Encore Careers.
- To raise the awareness in the Tampa Bay community- from businesses, non-profits, civic groups, social service agencies and educational institutions- that there is truly a windfall of talent and experience that is ready to be plugged in and do something that will impact our community for many years to come.
I believe I have a role to play in community and a role in helping my fellow boomers find their Encore Careers!! With over 35 years experience in the field of Organization Development, leadership and consulting – I am ready to utilize my wisdom and experience to create an ENCORE experience for Tampa Bay!
My blogs will serve 3 purposes:
- to communicate the latest articles, research, resources, books, and real stories of Encore careers and Encore communities across the country.
- to advocate – for baby boomers and organizations in Tampa Bay that will eventually create new pathways, programs, resources, and policies that support this Encore stage of life.
- to connect- baby boomers to each other, to resources and to the places or opportunities that will help our generation to identify, retool and implement their new Encore Careers.
Stay tuned for more blogs- with the latest articles, research and more inspirational stories and information that may be just the thing you have been looking for! So pass the blog around, like me on Facebook, connect with my group discussion on Linked in. Lets make this a dialogue… I’d like to hear from you!!
Bevan Gray-Rogel, Encore Tampa Bay